- 2013 (96)
- 2012 (59)
- December (1)
- October (3)
- September (3)
- August (1)
- July (1)
- June (7)
- May (6)
- April (3)
- March (6)
- February (13)
- January (9)
- 2010 (113)
- 2009 (224)
- 2008 (115)
Sunday, 1 May 2011
Pippa Cunningham is the wonderful artist behind the new Louis Vuitton Ailleurs collection (check out my previous posting here). After my last post on the new collection Pippa got in touch and was sweet enough to answer a few questions on her work, working with Vuitton and the collection it's self.
Pippa has worked with Louis Vuitton previously on the 2008 Cruise collection that featured her St Tropez print's on a number of items the pièce de résistance being the Galliera bag, perhaps my opinion is a little bias there as I actually own this bag and love to break it out in the summer sunshine.
Pippa graduated from the Royal College of Art in 1994 and has completed many commissions for important clients as well as public exhibitions and magazine illustrations, so lets get to know a little more about Pippa Cunningham......
- Did you always know you wanted to pursue a career in art?
- I studied printed textiles at the Royal College of Art, my paintings at first were the starting point for my textile designs.
- What drove you to paint originally?
- Fashion, Textiles and pattern have always been a love and fascination.
|Backstage Makeup at Dior|
- Did Vuitton choose from existing works you had created or commission something new with a specific theme in mind? (if it was commission how much free rein did you have?)
- Travel was the core inspiration to the Ailleurs collection, I wanted to do something that bought that element and freshness. I worked with the team at LV and was given a brief which I find works really well and helps me to focus.
- Could you tell us a little about your inspiration behind the Ailleur collection?
- For the Ailleurs collection at the beginning of the commission I was invited to visit the Louis Vuitton Archives and Museum in Paris, which was absolutely amazing. I was very interested in Gaston Vuitton`s collection of travel stickers (used on the trunks from hotels) bought back from travels around the world.
- How long did it take you to create each print and how long has it taken to produce the collection from start to finish?
- The paintings for the Ailleurs collection were made in Miami last January, one on the grass by Ocean Drive, the other of Miami beach from my hotel balcony. I love painting from high up looking down on great views.
- Miami is a fantastic place to paint, the colours and light are beautiful there. For the jungle painting I went to Kampong Gardens and Miami Zoo where I did lots of little paintings. The final jungle piece was finished in my studio in Brighton.
|Louis Vuitton Ailleurs Clothing.|
- Many of my readers are avid bag collectors do you have anything that you collect?
- I`m quite good at collecting Shoes.
- You're obviously passionate about traveling if you could be anywhere in the world right now where would you go?
- Where would i be if I could be any where in the world? Today I`d really like to be in a tall building in New York where I could paint from.
www.pippacunningham.co.uk, finally I'd like to Thank Pippa for taking the time out to answer my questions and allowing my the use her images for this post, I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.
Image credit: Pippa Cunningham
Image credit: Pippa Cunningham